Tuesday 8 July 2008

The Yellow Peril

One of the things I'm learning about growing in containers, is that results can be quite different to normal soil based cultivation.

Take these courgettes for example. Although the plants are every bit as vigorous as they would be in the ground, the fruits absolutely refuse to grow any bigger than this..... Is this due to the constraint of the tubs, or perhaps more likely a nutrient deficiency of the compost medium?

Either way it's not a major problem. At this size they are perfect for slicing lengthwise, and grilling or dry frying, with just a smear of butter.

And, of course, there are bloody loads of them.

Veg growers can be divided into two groups on the issue of courgette production.

The uninitiated will plant too many plants and then say "Christ, what do I do with all this lot", whereas the experienced growers will still plant too many saying " Look at all these courgettes I've planted, What am I like?... I'm mad me!"

And what might be the collective noun for the little blighters.....a "frenzy" of courgettes, or perhaps an "embarrassment" of courgettes"?

Suggestions welcome.....

6 comments:

gintoino said...

Those are beautiful! I had never seen them other than green.

Emma Jane said...

Gorgeous yellow corgies there, I love it that the stems are equally as yellow.

Frankie said...

I'm not going to grow any next year. I reckon I can rely on other people to give me some of their extras. Mine are growing huge - festering great lumps of uneaten guilt in the garden!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely 'collection' of courgettes.

I find I never have too many!

I cook up all sorts recipes, freeze them and have wonderful meals in the winter

Petunia's Gardener said...

These look ready for a salad. I've had to resort to buying them down at the local grower's market. Not a one growing this year.

The Allotment Blogger said...

The small ones have the best flavour anyway, and don't have the woody seeds inside. Great for salads or slicing up and using as dipsticks for some salsa with garlic and oil and fresh herbs. They are very beautiful in that mug.