Sunday 1 June 2008

Shades Of Tenko........

I've been fairly busy this weekend, having driven back down to Tonbridge to visit friends, and also to gain some motorway driving experience, whilst I had the opportunity of taking someone with me who knew the route. As it happens The Barbarian was pleased of a lift down. He still plays cricket that way, despite now living in Daventry, though he'd been out on the ale the night before and was looking a little bit jaded when we left at 07:00 yesterday.

Other people use Sat-Nav when they are not sure of where they are going, but always keen to go one better I took "Fat Nav" instead.......Well it made one of us laugh at least!

When I got back this afternoon (all personnel and vehicles unscathed) I cut the grass, before deciding to build a fruit cage for my strawberrries. I had a rough idea in my head of how to do it on the cheap, with some plastic netting and some spare canes I had in the shed, but needless to say it was easier to construct in the imagination than it was in garden. In fact it wasn't right until the end that I was confident it would hold together at all!

Halfway through it looked more like something from a Japanese prisoner of war film than any kind of horticultural structure.

It's certainly not a thing of any great beauty, but it will do the job well enough I think, and thus has a certain practical elegance to it at least..............

...............So rather like my good self then.

4 comments:

Frankie said...

so my sloppy bit of net chucked over the top needs some structure built in...

She Who Digs said...

Congratulations on passing your driving test! Better late congrats than none at all, but I've been out of the blogg circuit for a while. (stop by for an update!)
Like your Tenko-Net, if it stops slugs can you build one for me too please? The woodlice are eating my strawberries too so beware!
SWD

Anonymous said...

Now that I can type again, although not up to speed, I just wanted to let you know that I have really enjoyed catching up with your posts - and to thank you personally for your supportive comments when I had my health 'hiccup' recently.

xx

p.s. Would you like me to add you to my links, now that you are up and running or should I say driving now.

The Allotment Blogger said...

Looks extremely good to me! We are going to build a raised bed for strawberries next year but haven't worked out the 'cage' aspect of it at all, so you've given us a timely reminder. I'm wondering about nailing copper tape around the bed, but that is expensive. Slug pellets we aren't keen on and beer traps are disgusting to empty.

Other half says we should give the slugs ASBOs, but the problem with that idea is that you've got to get the little blighters to court in the first place!